Listing a cache
(Redirected from Listing a cache on Geocaching Australia)
Reasons to list on Geocaching Australia
- It's free! You aren't forced to pay US$30 per annum to be able to download a GPX file containing your cache
- We don't have strict guidelines like Geocaching.com
- We don't censor the forums like Geocaching.com
- GPX files contain all the logs, not just the last four
- You can see who is watching your cache
- We take it as your thank-you for the time, effort and cost we put in to running Geocaching Australia!
Listing a cache
- Type a name for your cache. Usually refers in some way to the location of the cache, but can be as clever or obscure as you like. Tip: Type the name into the search box at the top right to check if it's been used before, then click the back button to return to the Cache Listing page.
- Check the 'Hidden on' date, and adjust if you wish the listing to become visible on the GA web site on a future date. If you do set a future date, the listing will normally surface on that day between midnight and 1am (0000 - 0100).
- Select Difficulty and Terrain. Main thing to remember is that a cache with Terrain "1" should be Wheelchair accessible.
- Put in the cache coordinates, be sure they're in the right format and datum!
- Select the right State and Country
- Select Cache Type, probably Traditional cache or Multi-cache. Remember an "Offset" cache is classed as a Multi-cache.
- Type your summary and a description. (It is important to write a good description if you want people to find your cache!)
- Type in a hint if you wish. This can be a straightforward description of the hiding spot, or a cryptic clue, but try to keep it short. This hint will be encrypted using ROT 13, but can be easily decrypted on the cache page if needed.
- Click on the Save button, then click the name of your new cache to check everything looks like it should.
- If you are happy with the cache listing, click on 'Log this cache' on the right and add a 'Publish' log. The date in 'Publish' log screen is notation only.
- Your cache will activate today, or on the 'Hidden on' date if it is in the future, and be available for others to seek!
- If you want to add images to your cache listing follow this: HOWTO:_Add_pictures_to_a_cache_listing
Listing caches on other sites
The reason is that then there is no place online where people can see the entire history of that cache, and it confuses people who start trying to log your cache on more than one site.