A geocache (sometimes known as a "cache") is what we are placing and hunting. It could be a box of stuff in the bush. Or perhaps a film canister in an urban environment. Or maybe a webcam on a beach! You'll only know if you try it!
The types of geocache are as follows:
- Traditional cache - a hidden stash
- Multi-cache - a set of waypoints leading to the cache
- Virtual cache - a cache with no cache
- Locationless cache - also called a reverse virtual
- Moveable cache - find it, take it, hide it somewhere else
- Event cache - a gathering of geocachers
- Webcam cache - take a picture, get a smiley
- Mystery cache - a catch all to cover other possible caches that don’t fit easily within the other cache types or where the hider doesn't want you to know!
Each cache has a particular terrain and difficulty.
Other variations of geocache to be aware of are: