What is a Cacher Name?
Geocaching Australia uses two usernames:
- Your Forum Name which is used in the Geocaching Australia Forum
- Your cacher name which is used on Geocaching.com and the Geocaching Australia Listings
For most people, these will be the same. For other people who cache as a team but post in the forum as individuals, they will be different. For example: "Pesky!" in the forum is part of the team "The GeoMonkeys"
The need for a Cacher Name
Choosing a Cacher Name
What you select as your cacher name is completely up to you. It is limited by your imagination, creativity and whether somebody else has already chosen it.
They can be a nickname that you already use, a witty name or something simple. Remember that you will likely become known by this name as real names tend to go unmentioned in this hobby. It is preferable, but not essential, that your cacher name be pronouncable.
Be comfortable enough with your name that you would be happy to be called it in the street - because you likely will be.
What is your Cacher Name?
To see what your cacher name is, have a look at your posts in the forum:
- If you see a little button marked "Cacher", press that and you'll go to your Cacher page
- If you don't see the little button, your Cacher Name hasn't been set up
Alternatively, click on "My" in the main menu and it will tell you.
Setting up your Cacher Name
Again, this is a little clunky at the moment, but we are working on improving it.
To set up your cacher name, a request to set up your cacher name with the subject line "Please set up my cacher name as name"
Names are case sensitive, so "myname" is NOT the same as "MyName" We usually set them up within a day or so. Posts like this will go into the system but are not visible to you once you have You will see an error message when you make this request. That is normal.
Changing your Cacher Name
To change your cacher name:
- Change your username on Geocaching.com
- Wait a day or two so the changes ripple through the feeds
- your request to change your name with the subject "Please change my caching name from name to name."
- We'll then change the ownership of your caches, logs, recommendations, planned lists, etc to your new Cacher Name