What is GPX?
GPX stands for GPS Exchange Format. It allows people to exchange data about:
GPX was developed by Topografix, which publishes the GPX format specfication.
Different GPX formats
Groundspeak developed extensions to cover this information, however unfortunately they have made the extensions proprietary so they cannot be used by other cache listing websites. Geocaching.com makes their GPX files available to Premium members via a method called Pocket Queries.
Obtaining GPX Files
GPX files are available from two main sources. The first is through Pocket Queries on Geocaching.com. This is a Premium members service on that website. A Pocket Query is only going to provide geocaches that are initially listed on that site. It will give you a large part, but not necessarily the whole picture of geocaching in your area.
The second method for obtaining GPX files is from Geocaching Australia. This will give you state-by-state GPX files for caches listed on Geocaching Australia. These files are available on each state page of cached. These can be found on the menu system by selecting "Find > Available Caches", and then choosing a state. Presently, there is a small link on the bottom right of the page with the GPX file.
An alternative and much easier method for obtaining GPX files from Geocaching Australia is to use a new utility built by caughtatwork. At caughtatwork's GPX Mailer Utility you can enter your email address and make a selection of the states you wish to receive a GPX file for. These files are compressing using WinZIP reducing the overall size of the file to be delivered to you. Each Friday morning (approximately 4:00am AEST) the utility will send you a copy of the GPX files for the states you requested. This allows you to process the GPX files into your waypoint management software in preparation for a weekend of caching fun. It also means you don't need to remember to access the site to gain the Geocaching Australia GPX files, it will all happen automagically.
You can change your preferences at any time, including removing yourself from the utility:
- If you have previously been receiving VIC and NSW and wish to add SA then please select VIC, NSW and SA.
- If you have previously been receiving VIC and NSW and no longer wish to receive NSW, then select VIC only.
- If you have previously been receiving VIC and no longer wish to receive any GPX files, do not select any states.
This utility is provided free of charge.
Geocaching Australia GPX Files
GPX links by state :
- ACT : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/act.gpx
- New South Wales : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/nsw.gpx
- Northern Territory : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/nt.gpx
- Queensland : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/qld.gpx
- South Australia : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/sa.gpx
- Tasmania : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/tas.gpx
- Victoria : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/vic.gpx
- Western Australia : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/wa.gpx
- NZ - north island : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/nz/ni.gpx
- NZ - south island : http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/nz/si.gpx
Geocaching.com GPX Files
Periodically updated GPX files of geocaching.com caches for each state of Australia and also for New Zealand's North and South Islands are available from http://www.roblisa.com/geocache/.